Here’s the low down on the new Technika Smartbox 8320HD sold exclusively by Tesco.
Below are some problems I have encountered to date and recommended solutions:
How do I use the Smartbox 8320HD with a Logitech Harmony universal remote control?
- In the Logitech Harmony Remote Software choose Cable/Satellite Box > Digital Set Top Box > Manufacturer: Netgem > Model: N-7680
Problems with the remote control skipping two lines at a time when you use the navigation buttons?
- If you have a Harmony remote, go into the Logitech Harmony Remote Software and select the Netgem device, then ‘Troubleshoot’ > ‘Netgem responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally’ > ‘0’
The message “This programme requires HDCP, but your HDTV doesn’t seem to support it” appears on the TV screen when attempting to view HD channels:
- Power off the Smartbox and all devices connected to it, including the TV and any intermediate A/V equipment connected via HDMI. Power them all back on again after a couple of minutes.
Smartbox goes into standby mode every night, even when ‘Screensaver timeout’, ‘Auto standby delay’ and ‘Energy savings delay’ are all set to ‘disabled’ in the display preferences:
- Response from FetchTV support 17/06/2010 – “Unfortunately it is not possible to stop the box from going into stand-by mode whilst it is not in use.”
Will I be keeping my Smartbox? Well surprisingly yes I think I will. Despite the bugs and multiple software updates, this box has the potential to be rather great. The integration of iPlayer and SkyPlayer is slick and for the money and features there is nothing to compare with it.
- The problem with the remote control has been addressed in the v4.7.48-09 software.
- Tesco have withdrawn the 8320HD from sale